Thursday, March 4, 2010

Installating SharePoint 2010 Beta in Windows 7

When SharePoint 2010 Beta was released for installation, I was very excited. And then when it was clearly mentioned that it can be installed on Windows 7, then I was more excited. It was because I faced lot of trouble installing SharePoint 2007 on Windows Vista. However, later I found customized solution/installer from Bamboo solutions that allows the installation on to Windows Vista. Pretty good work by Banboo Solutions.

There are lots of MSDN articles available that will instruct you (step by step) to install SharePoint 2010 (Foundation and/or Server) on Windows 7 (Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate). The one MSDN article that I referred was http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554869(office.14).aspx. Everything is good here.

Home Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo, Dell XPS with 4GB RAM (Maximum).

SharePoint 2010 Foundation: Installation goes smoothly. With this installation I thought that SharePoint installation is piece of cake and I can install SharePoint 2010 Server on office machine.

Home machine is WorkGroup machine and Office laptop is actually domain connected machine. This is important point here.

Office Laptop: Dell Latitude D620 with 4GB Of maximum RAM.

Downloaded SharePoint 2010 Server software and followed the instructions given in the MSDN web site. Prior to this installation, I did install SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition (64-bit). SharePoint 2010 Server installation was smooth. The challenge started when tried to do configuration. Configuration was failing at step 2 with one reason on other. I was freaked out and was thinking the root cause of the failure. I tried so many times, but failed at step 2 of 10 all the time. hmm!!!

Then I recalled by SharePoint 2007 configuration pre-requisite, it says that do the installation with a domain service account. Now I am using office laptop which is not actually connected to domain, however, I am trying to install the application with domain account. What I thought was that if I have Local machine service account which is not actually domain service account, it will definitely work. WIth this thought, I un-installed SharePoint 2010 Server first using my domain account.

Created a local account and make it local admin to the box. Logged off from domain account and then log back again using local service account.

Started SharePoint 2010 Server installation, completed successfully.

Started SharePoint Configuration using configuration wizard. Chose 'Standalone' installation (with my fingers crossed). Step 2 configuration going on... going on... and after 5 minutes or so, step 2 installation completed and it continued till step 8 of 10 without any problems. I was sure that now installation will complete without any problem, however, my assumption was wrong and it failed at step 8. Never mind. I thought of checking the SharePoint Configuration and Content databases if created successfully, and it did.

Started SharePoint 2010 Central Administration, and bingo ... you will see the central administration is running without any problem. Default website is not accessible because step 8 was failed. So you need to create the default website by yourself. I did create the default website that runs on http://machineName/.

Couple of Important Points here:

1. Create local machine service account with 'never expired' password policy.

2. Add this local machine service account in local administrator group.

3. Logon to machine using this service account.

4. Install SharePoint 2010 (Server/Foundation) and complete the configuration. Make sure to use 'Standalone' option. I haven't tried another option.

5. If installation continues and pass step 7 of 10, no worries. Step 8 till 10 is basically for (I guess) to create default site and related configurations.

6. Installation using domain account doesnt work unless you are actually connected to domain.

Good Luck and Enjoy SharePoint 2010!!!

No comments: